Thursday, August 20, 2015

Finding Chachi

[IMG] 
We had done some research and sent out messages to the Horizons Unlimited community to find out about storage possibilities for the bikes somewhere in Colombia or Ecuador. There were several possibilities, with varying costs, but the issue we kept encountering was that our TVIPs (Temporary Vehicle Import Permits) would expire while we were in the US OR our time away from South America would have to be curtailed to under 89 days. With two weddings, time scheduled for QT with both families 89 days would leave very little time for getting a job.

[IMG]
Gasoline is available EVERYWHERE near the border... and for cheap as it's coming across the border form Venezuela.

We had heard about a woman who operated a storage facility between the borders of Venezuela and Colombia where a TVIP would not be an issue, but we were not able to get any concrete, up to date information about her. So, from the Guajira Peninsula, we headed to the border to investigate on our own, only knowing to ask for a Wayuu woman named “Chachi.”

Roel stayed with the bikes once we arrived at the border and I headed off in search of Chachi. I found the place where cars were stored and asked the woman in a blue mumu sitting in front of the gate if she knew of Chachi and if I could speak with her. She said she knew her but that she was not around, and what did I want to know. I wouldn’t say she was unfriendly, but she was definitely not friendly. I explained our situation and she opened the gate and led me through to have a look at the storage options. She explained the pricing and I told her I would need to return with my partner after discussing what she had said.

We moved the bikes in front of the storage area, and I stayed with the bikes while Roel went to talk with the woman and look at the space. He walked out and said he had met Chachi and thought the space was good.

We then walked in together and I asked him where Chachi was. He gestured to the woman in the blue mumu and she sheepishly looked at me and admitted she was Chachi. Her attitude had changed markedly since I first spoke with her. It seems I should have sent Roel in first to charm her.

[IMG]
Chachi and our potential storage space... looks like some room needs to me made in there.
[IMG]
The lock-able garage spaces with field spaces open on the right.
[IMG]
Chachi's family home is just across from the garages and next to the field.

The price range for outdoor versus indoor spaces was 4,000 to 6,000 pesos. But we got the idea this price was not set in stone. She is a real business woman. Regardless, not bad and a huge relief to finally have an option.

[IMG]
Hotel Trebol... home sweet home in Maicao... rooms available with fans or aircon.
[IMG]
The bikes parked right outside of our room.

We headed back to town and found a motel with a courtyard we could ride the bikes into. I called my Mom immediately to get an update on her health, and after 30 seconds of straight hacking, I made the decision that this would be my last week in Colombia. I booked my flight for 5 days later. And felt a sense of peace that a decision had finally been made and I would soon be with my Mom.

Our heads heavy with options, we enjoyed air-conditioning for the first time in a week and passed out. We got up the next day and decided the best way to spend my last days in Colombia would be to check out the world-renowned Festival de la Leyenda Vallenata in Valledupar.

[IMG]
This little guy was intent on scribbling on EVERY page of our notebook :D

On our way, I noticed a higher level of military presence than I have seen anywhere else in the world, perhaps in response to the FARC attack the week prior. We were actually questioned briefly at one checkpoint until a senior official with the most remarkably bright eyes I have ever seen, intervened and immediately welcomed us to their area and offered directions to the festival.

[IMG] 
We met up with Cisco and enjoyed the music, dancing and ceremonies before getting caught in a torrential downpour and finding a love hotel complete with an erotic etching, telling price list and our own perfect private garage for the bikes.

[IMG]
CISCO!!!!!
[IMG] 

[IMG] 
Some cultural performances took place throughout the afternoon.
[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG]
It's hard to tell from the photo, but in a matter of minutes, there was 5 inches of water in the street.
[IMG]
Funny, I've never seen a price list like this before! :jack
[IMG]
Unique hotel, ahem, art.

The perfect way to end one of my last weeks in Colombia.

No comments:

Post a Comment